Directory sign text
This is the text I’m using for the main directory sign that has what is on each different floor. I’ve revised it a bit from what is on the current sign, just so it makes a bit more sense. Also added in the Maori. So if anyone wants to work on this as well just copy and paste because there’s no point each of us typing things out separately.
Issues – wahi hoatu
Returns – hokinga mai
Membership – he mema
Reserves – pukapuka kua tonoa
Information desk – wahi maioha
Enquiries desk – patai mai
Fiction – korero paki
Children/Young Adults – tamariki/rangatahi
Sound & Vision Centre – a taringa a whatu
Arts/Music/Literature – arai moko
Sciences/Humanities – pu taiao/tikanga tangata
Languages – matauranga reo
Biographies – haurongo
Computers & Business – rorohiko/haere ra, hoki mai ano
Health & Medicine – hauora
Home & Garden – whakatipu kari
Magazines – makahini
Newspapers- nga pu kaea o Tamaki-makau-rau
New Zealand – reference collection kohikohinga o Aotearoa
Maori collection – kohikohinga Maori
Travel – takahaere
History – korero nehe
Administration – tari whakahaere
Housebound & talking books services – pukapuka korero
Also, problems we identified with the existing sign:
– it’s not obvious enough which floor you are on (just has text colour changed to red)
– writing out the floor names in full might not be the most clear way to communicate (eg. second floor instead of using number 2).
– arrows don’t really work, just looks like a big jumble pointing all over the place.
– there is no hierarchy within the lists, eg. on the ground floor creating a distinction between all the service desks and the book genres (these are all mixed in together).
– layout – floors run horizontally on the sign, but in real life they run vertically – might make more sense to create this visual connection on the signage.